Monday, June 16, 2008

A couple of things I'm reading up on

My iMac is in a coma at home, so my 'net access has become tricky and will continue to be so until I can get my creaky little laptop online.

In the interim, here are a few things that I'd been reading up on before the ''big sleep''.

Vegan organic and veganic gardening
. Basically, it has a lot to do with minimizing use of animals products in organic gardening (e.g. using plant-based compost rather than animal fertilizers). The UK's Vegan Society has a lot of info on it here.

A friend got me interested in Seeds of Diversity, a ''Canadian charitable organization dedicated to the conservation, documentation and use of public-domain non-hybrid plants of Canadian significance'' (kinda scary when we now have to start referring to certain plants as ''public domain''). They have a great website that includes a searchable database of 19,000 cultivars of Canadian garden vegetables, fruits, etc. -- I'm sure that most of it applies to the US, as well.

2 comments:

J said...

Hope your computer is up and running again soon.

Veganic gardening, eh? I am imagining that the worm poop I use to fertilize my garden would not be included. :-(

M said...

I'm guessing that worm composting wouldn't be an issue. Wow. I never even thought of that. I mean, in terms of animal suffering, it would sort of be a non-issue, I'd think. I had a friend who kept a worm composter once and fed the little guys on fresh organic produce most of the time; they reproduced like mad until he eventually felt overwhelmed and freed them.

I hope to have my laptop net-ready by the end of the weekend, at the very least. All toes crossed!