Sunday, October 30, 2011

What This Vegan Eats

It's not hard to tell what sort of food kick I've been on by eyeballing photos of some of the dishes I make. I've definitely been on a tahini and nutritional yeast kick lately, using it in salads and as a spread and dip for sandwiches, crackers and raw vegetables. (I have a lengthy tahini post in the works that I hope to wrap up sometime this week. Consider yourselves forewarned!) Avocados were on sale in most local supermarkets earlier this month, so garlicky guacamole showed up again and again. So did Thai seasonings as I've been working my way through a new favourite cookbook and learning about using curry pastes and various Thai ingredients. Here are a few things that showed up on my table these past few weeks:

Hot organic fair trade coffee with loads of plain almond milk. Shredded broccoli/carrots, cherry tomatoes, hot banana peppers and tofu (marinated in soy sauce and toasted sesame oil) on romaine lettuce. Sprinkled with ground flax, garlic gomasio and a bit of rice wine vinegar.

Curried sweet potato soup with chickpeas (seasoned w/curry paste, amchoor powder, Indian chili, cilantro and lime). Gardein strips on a toasted kamut roll with guacamole, Vegenaise and (did I happen to mention that I like) hot banana peppers.

Shredded kale tossed with tahini, nutritional yeast, crushed garlic & a pinch of salt. Topped with green bell pepper, tomato & scallions.

Gardein strips with homemade guacamole, salsa & a sprinkle of dried chipotle in a whole wheat pita.
Split green pea soup with brown rice, turnip, carrots, kale, celery, peas, herbes salées, garlic, liquid Mesquite smoke and ground black pepper.

Green Thai curry, this time with onions, zucchini, green beans and red bell pepper. It gets hotter and hotter each time I make it. I love it!

Sesame noodles with garlic & ginger. Organic tofu marinated overnight in sesame oil & soya sauce, dredged through flour/nooch/crushed ancient grains cereal and pan-fried. Onions, zucchini and red bell pepper chunks stir-fried with Massaman curry paste.

Improvised super spicy green Thai curry w/sweet potatoes, marinated tofu, red bell peppers, onions and water chestnuts, coconut milk and finely minced dates (because I had no brown sugar on hand). Served on Thai rice and topped with chopped cilantro (not shown, obviously).

Tomato, avocado, Spanish onion, radishes, kale and parsley on a bed of lettuce and later drizzled with a garlicky lemon vinaigrette and ground flax.

Thai soup seasoned with green curry paste, keffir lime leaves and galangal. Onions, broccoli, green beans, red bell peppers and quinoa. Toasted coconut on top.

4 comments:

sheree boyd said...

Your food posts always looks so YUMMY, Mylene. Do you follow a recipe or do you make most of the stuff up as you go along? I have several go to vegan cookbooks: Vegan W/a Vengeance, The Vegan Table and Vegan Fire and Spice (highly recommend if you like spicy food!). I also do a lot of vegan food searches on the internet.

M said...

Thanks! I used to try out cookbook recipes constantly, but these days tend to just toss stuff together intuitively, especially if I'm just cooking for myself. I do tend to get a lot of ideas from vegan food blogs, though. I read them constantly (e.g. VeganDad, Oh She Glows, Chez Cayenne, happyveganface and of course blogs by cookbook authors like Robin Robertson, Dreena Burton and Bryanna Clark Grogan and so many more awesome blogs).

I'm overdue for a few cookbook purchases and hope to pick up Vincent Guihan's new book this week.

Barbara DeGrande said...

It is often difficult to get appealing photos of savory food, but yours are always so colorful and beautiful in those overhead shots!

M said...

Thanks, Barbara! Your own food photos when you post them on your site always leave me drooling a little. I look forward to getting a decent camera in the spring and to actually learn a bit more about food photography and having a better set-up for it. It's fun!