Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Roots & Lentils Casserole

I made this on Sunday. I never thought to take a photo. It was really yummy with the crushed garlic (I adore garlic, so I added lots) and extra black pepper. I had it with tossed garden salad drizzled with a zesty sundried tomato dressing.

Roots & Lentils Casserole


What you need:

One cup each of the following:

Chopped onion
Chopped celery
Diced turnip
Diced potato
Diced carrot
Diced parsnip
Dried red lentils

Also:

Two cups boiling water
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly-ground pepper (or more, to taste)
crushed garlic to taste (optional)

What you do:

Place first seven ingredients in an ungreased 3 L (or quart) casserole dish and stir them to mix well.

In a medium-sized bowl, stir the boiling water and peanut butter together until smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper and crushed garlic (I like to use at least 3-4 cloves). Pour over the vegetables in the casserole dish and bake in a 350F oven for around 1-1/2 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Makes around six servings. This is great with a large tossed salad and some whole grain rolls.

1 comment:

J said...

This sounds really good. I'll have to keep this in mind for when the root veggies start coming in here. Yum, picture or not, it sounds fantastic.